Coffee Party / For The People Summit / Citizens United Anniversary / Transpartisan Cooperation. The Summit a success, a transpartisan movement still very much in the making.
Transpartisan cooperation was a major theme at the Summit. Many people, other than the usual transpartisan advocates, talked about crossing the political divides and used the “transpartisan” term freely. Here is everything you might like to know about what just happened. Changing the Game was proud to be a part of this good work. Enjoy. Walt
CLICK HERE to see Friday’s For the People Summit events as covered by CSPAN • The Nation‘s John Nichols reports on Friday’s events • Truthout‘s James Russell reports on the Summit • Great report on Friday events by Press TV • NYC’s “We the People/Free Speech” LIVE STREAMED.
We owe a huge debt of gratitude to many phenomenal people who made FOR THE PEOPLE Summit possible. We’d like to thank:
- The speakers for their compelling presentations and inspiring work: Nicole Aro, Phil Aroneanu, Dean Baker, Marge Baker, John Bonifaz, Heather Booth, Ellen Hodgson Brown, Tim Carney, Angelo Carusone, Douglas Clopp, David Cobb, Marty Cobenais, Veronica Dorsey, Steve Dubb, Margaret Flowers, Judith Freeman, Paul Glover, Lisa Graves, Craig Holman, Ashley Hunagel, Arnold Kling, Luis Larin, Larry Lessig, Johnathan Macchi, Steve Meacham, Ralph Nader, Adam Smith, Chuck Spinney, Eileen Toback, Sanho Tree, Lori Wallach, Monica Youn and Kevin Zeese.
- Michael Ostrolenk and the Transpartisan Center for partnering with us on Friday’s Transpartisan Dialog on Corporatism.
- Walt Roberts of Changing the Game for facilitating Saturday’s day-long collaborative strategy session.
- The organizing partners for the incredible collaboration: Alliance for Democracy, Backbone Campaign, Center for Media and Democracy, Changing the Game, Coffee Party, and Move to Amend.
- The sponsoring organizations for their participation and financial support: Common Cause, Democrats.com, Fix Congress First, Free Speech for People, Organic Consumers Association, People for the American Way, Public Citizen, Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom.
- The endorsing organizations for standing with us on this issue and helping us get the word out: American Independent Business Alliance, Democracy Matters, PeaceMajority Report, Progressive Democrats of America, Public Campaign
- The Arca Foundation for their financial support.
- Medea Benjamin and Code Pink for going above and beyond to support the “We the Corporations vs We the People” Rally.
- The Rally performers and volunteers: Steffon Moody, Diane Wittner, Sally Rose, Will Rice, Susan Harman, Perry Goodfriend, Jay Marx, and many others. We’ll get all the names soon.
- Ilyse Hogue, Robin Beck and MoveOn for getting the word out about the local events organized by various partnering organizations.
- Our friends and colleagues for their invaluable guidance and input: Chuck Spinney, Monica Walsh, Debilyn Molineaux, Judith Freeman, Joan Blades, Joseph McCormick, John Steiner, Billy Wimsatt, Drew Courtney, Anna White, Marge Baker, Diallo Brooks, Brian Young and Joey Mornin.
- C-SPAN crew for live-broadcasting our Friday events for nine hours.
- Washington Plaza Hotel staff for the great hospitality.
- Steffon Moody for creating the art-work that inspired the entire action: the two giant preambles.
- Eric Hensal of Murray Hill, Inc. for inspiring the Corporate American Person movement.
- Will Rice for writing the anthem song for the Corporate American Person movement and performing it with the lovely Sally Rose at the rally. Thank you, Sally Rose!
- Filmmakers and their cast and crew for their outstanding videos: Eric Byler in DC; Richard Wooley and Jeff Bond in NYC; Tim Avirett and Perry Goodfriend in Atlanta; and Robert Kuttner in Los Angeles.
- Participants of lobby day for delivering our letters and message to our representatives in Congress: Udi Pladott, Lee Glass, Jan Chastain, Stephanie Swiger, Scott Meade, Michael Belli, John Burns, Bob Danson, David Kuebrich, Gregg Reynolds, Marc Greidinger, Alex Greidinger, Ann Kusnitz, Emi Kaneshiro, Carole Keith, Perry Goodfriend, Victoria Linden and Susan Harman. A special thanks to Eric Whinery, Nancy Price, Cosmo Harrigan and Paul Perrone for being part of the coordination team. Thanks to Brian Young from Sen. Kerry’s office for coming by to show support.
- Brian Wang for organizing We the People Free Speech Party at the K St. Lounge.
- Talented performing artists at the We the People Free Speech Party: Regie Cabico (MC), Songrise, 13 of Nazareth, Liz Prescott, Drew Law, Sampson, Sally Rose and her mom, and DJ 9-Volt (DJ).
- Fellow steering committee members Lisa Graves of Center for Media and Democracy and Nancy Price of Move to Amend and Alliance for Democracy for their wisdom and spirit of team-work.
- Backbone Campaign staff and super volunteers from the Coffee Party for being the caffeinated backbone of the Summit: Yve Susskind, Jacob Bain, Jared Middle Calf, Stephen Trudel, Nicholas Hedstrom, Shawn Figueroa, Cosmo Harrigan, Robert Rapplean, Bruce Schuman, Eric Whinery, Chris McMorrow, Sean Barnett, John Leonhard, Paul Perrone, Margie Roswell, Alyson Chadwick, Perry Goodfriend, Rebecca Baird, Billy Sears, Lynda Park, Melanie Wheatley, Laurie Dunivant-Larsen, Annie Parker, Kate Conners, Vince Lamb, Leah Spitzer, Steve Park, Matthew Bralow & Ivanka. A special thanks to Barb Bull and her 8th grade daughter, Miranda, for flying all the way from Portland, OR to volunteer for the Summit. We couldn’t have done it without you two!
- Participants of the rally and 2-day Summit! A big thanks for coming out and being part of the first For the People Summit.
- There are many more who worked on local events. Please help us gather information about those events. Send photos, videos or links about the DC or local events to email@example.com.
— Eric Byler, Bill Moyer & Annabel Park
Eric Byler, Jay Marx and Bill Moyer at the For the People Summit Sat. 1/22 in Washington D.C.
Photo by Cosmo Harrigan
Victoria Dorsey of United Workers Friday Jan. 21, 2011 at the For the People Summit. Photo by Cosmo Harrigan.
Left to right (no pun intended) Walt Roberts, Dean Baker, Lisa Graves, Michael Ostrolenk, Tim Carney, and Arnold Kling at the Trans-partisan Dialogue panel discussion at the For the People Summit, Jan. 21, 2010. Photo by Cosmo Harrigan.
Ralph Nader, Kristin Cabral, Luis Larin, and Ashley Hufnagel at the For the People Summit Jan. 22, 2011. Photo by Cosmo Harrigan.
LEFT: Phil Aroneanu of 350.org speakings about new media approaches to global collaboration on the issue of climate change.
Lawrence Lessig gives keynote address at the For the People Summit Fri. 1/21 at the Washington Plaza Hotel in Washington D.C. Click here for VIDEO from CSPAN coverage.
Photo by Cosmo Harrigan
Ralph Nader speaking at For the People Summit “Working Lunch” Sat. 1/22 in Washington D.C. photo by Cosmo Harrigan
VIDEO: see Nader finding common ground with Rep. Ron Paul (R) of Texas.
Bill Moyer speaks at the “We the Corporations vs. We the People” Rally. Photo by Howard Carlin
Diane Wittner of Chesapeake Citizens, Gale Murphy, Steffon Moody address the crowd at the”We the Corporations vs. We the People” Rally. In the foreground, Jay Marx questions the moral and Constitutional foundations of corporate rule. Photo by Howard Carlin
The Backbone Campaign‘s “artful activism” at the “We the Corporations vs. We the People” Rally, Jan. 21, 2011. Photo by Howard Carlin.