Many of the Transformation Technologies that I work with were sourced by The Performance Center and are practiced through the consulting work of Transformation Systems International. I began my serious exploration of personal transformation and mastery by doing the est training (now Landmark Education) in 1978. In 1980 I became a co-founder of Focus, an Educational Corportaion, which used a very powerful tool:
The Integrity Tone Scale, developed by Vern Black.
The context of transformational change was established early in my adult life and has developed and matured over time. First I was concerned with my own personal mastery/transformation; then interpersonal, group or team mastery/transformation; next I focused on organizations; and more recently I have been working at the level of community, societal, and global movements in the context of transformation, workability and generative change process design.
I was on a team that developed a keypad polling decision support tool that became more of a group dynamics “breakthrough tool” and opened the door to my interest in generative or transformational group process design and facilitation.
Possibility is a simple and effective “interactive group communication” tool. It is used in face to face meetings where group communication and participation dynamics are challenging. Possibility allows everyone in a meeting to be “heard” and everyone to “know” what the group “thinks” on any topic or issue in a matter of seconds. Group work that used to take a half day can be accomplished in an hour. Thus, more people can meaningfully participate in group work events such as visioning, planning, assessment, decision making, prioritizing, consensus building and problem solving. Possibility is especially useful for groups that are faced with complex issues and helps foster greater participation, learning, collaboration, contribution, alignment and buy-in. When Possibility is applied in a learning search process an ordinary group event becomes extraordinary!
Keypad polling is just a tool…. Most of the transformation technologies I work with have to do with world-view, concepts, frameworks, purpose, intention, generative conversations and the like.
The Performance Center is a 501 c3 not for profit and I sit on its board. From the web site:
“The Performance Center is a global community of people joined together by a shared commitment to weave a web of greater good around the world. We focus on providing education to the public that promotes leadership, transformation and breakthrough performance in organizations, communities and society. Through our academic and applied research, we synthesize and integrate the best theory, models and ideas in the quality management, leadership and transformation sciences to form a whole-systems approach to organizational, community and societal transformation.” Our transformational change community is guided by several key principles. These principles are:
TPC Community Principles
- Building upon the unique strengths of each community member
- Adopting an abundance mentality
- Learning, growing, and risk-taking
- Being at cause for self, relationships, and community
- Living a difference and experiencing joy when we do it
- Flourishing as a community of caring, supportive individuals
- Doing what is right and being accountable at the highest level
The 4 Cornerstones to transformation are at the core of the business of generative change and breakthrough performance. They are:
- 1. Self Mastery Focuses on change and improvement at the individual level by raising consciousness about deeply held ways of thinking that often hold back or slow down positive change.
- 2. Interpersonal Mastery Emphasizes relationship development, management and trust. Experience has taught us that poor interpersonal relationships are a primary driver of problems in performance; yet few attempt to address these interpersonal tensions directly and constructively.
- 3. Value Exchange What is the entity’s value proposition, purpose and value-driven operating model? How does “the world” experience, validate, and reflect (exchange) that value back ?
- 4. Change Methodology Finally, this approach includes the method(s) by which the transformation is accomplished. Typically teams are chartered to lead large-scale, total system change and improvement. Documentation of the past (lessons learned about what worked and what didn’t); The present (mission, values, key performance measures, and current performance levels); A desired future for the organization (future key performance measures, vision, and great performance targets); and how to make the revolutionary and evolutionary changes required to close the gap between current reality and desired future.
I am a Partner with TSI. From our web: “We work with organizations of all forms to transform to a new level of effectiveness. Our product is performance. We partner with government, business and non-profits to achieve their next level of effectiveness. We also engage with organizations that are more loosely defined such as associations, networks, communities and large scale movements to create greater impact.” TSI delivers consulting services to improve leadership, transformation planning and organizational performance. Clients include the Country of Botswana, the US Navy, Oregon State Government and other public and private organizations.
Our values compel us to form deep and lasting partnerships. Living our values is a core touchstone within TSI and our broader community. These values arise from a shared philosophy of the possibilities in human and organizational behavior.
Intentional Living - Being at cause for self, relationships and community. Doing what’s right and being held accountable at the highest level.
Being for the World – Living a difference and experiencing joy.
Community – Being in community with all; connected and related in meaningful ways.
Performance – Being authentically excited by radical, profound results that were not going to happen in the everyday-ordinary way of operating.
The following video provides some insight about who we are and how we view what we do. It is worth watching.
How can we shift / transform our divisive and broken political system/culture? This is the eork of the Transpartisan Alliance. I’m on the TA “Core” Leadership Team. From our recent newsletter: “What is the cost of political dis-unity, polarization? What are the innovative strategies we can implement to affect a positive shift in our political culture? These are the questions the Transpartisan Alliance team has been asking national leaders of grassroots groups across the spectrum like MoveOn.org, a progressive advocacy organization, and FreedomWorks, a catalyst of the limited government tea parties — see 6 min. video — as well as local leaders around the country.
This fall the Campaign to Unite U S began planting seeds in Portland, Seattle, Fresno, and the Florida Keys for an alternative to win-lose politics. These house parties and conversation café town halls were an open invitation to an open source, open minded, open hearted, open space conversation about our political future”…….
I am offering all of my capacities and services through TA mostly in the form of Transpartisan by Design: Transpartisan process design, orchestration and facilitation of: workshops, presentations, panels, town hall meetings, citizen engagement initiatives, conferences, conventions and an Integral Transpartisan Forum.
I am board member of The Performance Center, a partner of Transformation Systems International and on the core team of the Transpartisan Alliance. I’ve had extensive experience working with groups, institutions and communities that are working to generate their future together strategically, intentionally and collaboratively. I offer innovative and often unique approaches to the design and orchestration of alliances, coalitions, forums, conferences, keypad polling assisted deliberation and decision making, citizen engagement processes, and generative change initiatives. I am one of the inventors of the Integral Forum Design concept.
The Services I provide:
- Breakthrough Meetings with Keypad Polling; Overcoming the normal limits of large-group process with the purposeful and expert use of electronic, audience response, keypad polling technology
- Sourcing Circles and Collaborative Design Services; Bringing transformation, sourcing/presencing, and generative frameworks and processes to the work of any collaborative design team as they co-create any dialogue and deliberation process, event, meeting, summit, change initiative, alliance development and/or coalition building
- Generative Process Design, Orchestration and Facilitation; Frame, theme, purpose and process design, orchestration and facilitation for strategic planning meetings, conferences, summits, town halls, public hearings, open houses, community meetings and all sorts of large-group dialogue, deliberation and decision making events
- Transboundary Convening Design; Special services and tools for bringing disparate and divided groups together to find common ground, build bridges and forge unlikely partnerships.
- Alliance and Coalition Design, Facilitation and Development; Applying generative process services to the creation of more formal and enduring entities.
- On-Line Networking, Information Sharing and Collaboration Integration; Identifying and implementing the right set of (existing, popular and usually free) internet based spaces, services and tools to work in concert with face to face meetings and vice verse.
- Integral Forum Design; Connecting, integrating and aligning multiple conveners and conferences over time to make critical connections within and between topic “silos” (all of the previously described services come in to play for this).